Florida Springs News
Welcome to our springs news section. Here you can find news about spring activity, legislation concerning springs, water conservation and upcoming major events.
Set 1 of 13
Aug 13, 2017
- A proposed Ichetucknee Springs State Park management plan that was set to be voted on Friday has been put on hold so a more in-depth study of the park, including its aquatic vegetation, wildlife, water quality and other features, can be done.
Aug 13, 2017
- Forget slimy June grass and sandy feet. Forget your eyes stinging from the saltwater or searching desperately for a parking spot. Instead of heading to the beach, head north and take a refreshing dip in the crystal clear springs.
Aug 12, 2017
- My visits to Rum have been fun, inspiring and soul-healing. I've seen the spring in bitter winter, when mists whirled on the water like dancing spirits. I've been followed by a school of tiny fish as I waded in golden water while the rising river encroached into the spring.
Aug 11, 2017
- Florida's springs have all the qualities of living creatures. They are contiguous systems composed of plants and animals, working together in an organized fashion, and capable of reproduction, growth, response to stimuli and long-term stability.
Set 2 of 13
Aug 10, 2017
- Wakulla Springs defenders cheered Monday's announcement that Gov. Rick Scott, the Department of Environmental Protection and water management districts have decided how to divvy up $50 million in springs' protection money.
Aug 10, 2017
- Two Florida pulp mills just got major water permits approved by the St. Johns River Water Management District governing board-- with no deliberation whatsoever, reports the Orlando Sentinel.
Aug 7, 2017
- Florida Governor Rick Scott has announced 40 springs projects across the state that will receive a total of $50 million in funding as part
of the 2017-2018 'Fighting for Florida's Future' budget. The list includes projects in Suwannee County and Wakulla County.
Aug 6, 2017
- Deep in the heart of Ocala National Forest there are a series of amazing natural springs that are not only picturesque, but are major sources of fresh surface water to surrounding ecosystems.
Set 3 of 13
Aug 3, 2017
- A group of beachgoers and firefighters in Clearwater Beach got up close and personal while rescuing three manatees that washed ashore on Wednesday.
Aug 3, 2017
- The economic benefits of development and the preservation of natural resources are continually being weighed against each other.
Jul 28, 2017
- Pack your sunnies and sunscreen and head to one of the Sunshine State's most beautiful natural wonders, where its crystal clear spring waters, lush green surroundings, and undisturbed nature will take your stress away.
Jul 17, 2017
- I am frequently asked if I think Florida's springs will be saved. My standard answer is simple, "Only when enough people understand and care about springs (and the rest of Florida's environmental woes) to affect true political change."
Set 4 of 13
Jul 13, 2017
- A Trump administration proposal to continue allowing oil companies to dump unlimited amounts of offshore fracking chemicals into the Gulf of Mexico violates federal law and threatens imperiled marine wildlife, the Center for Biological Diversity warned this week.
Jul 11, 2017
- Nearly a year after a state regulatory commission approved controversial new water-quality standards, an appeals court Tuesday ruled that a pulp-and-paper industry group should be able to challenge the measures.
Jul 5, 2017
- HIGH SPRINGS ' With its cool water and large jumping platform, Gilchrist Blue Springs has provided a fun relief from the summer heat for generations. But for the first time in nearly 50 years the park is going through a change.
Jun 22, 2017
- Last week, Gov. Rick Scott and the Florida Cabinet voted to buy Blue Springs Park in Gilchrist County, located just west of Alachua County, for $5.2 million.
Set 5 of 13
Jun 21, 2017
- As manatees return to their summer haunts along the coast, South Carolina Department of Natural Resources (SCDNR) biologists are reminding residents and visitors to be particularly alert while boating and to report sightings of these gentle giants online.
Jun 15, 2017
- Florida's Cabinet voted Wednesday to acquire 407-acre Blue Springs Park in Gilchrist County, a jewel of a spring that's been privately owned since 1958 -- thanks to a long-ago love affair involving a St. Petersburg business mogul and his faithful assistant.
Jun 9, 2017
- Manatee Lagoon ' An FPL Eco Discovery Center has quite the summer planned. Want to know just what's available? Head on down on Sunday to see a preview.
Jun 7, 2017
- Every Sunday and Thursday morning, a squad of volunteer divers descends into Weeki Wachee Spring to "scrunge" its lime rock basin, working like wet-suited gardeners to pull up black-green strands of lyngbya algae.
Set 6 of 13
Jun 3, 2017
- A couple of days ago I got down to Ginnie Springs about an hour before sunset. Miraculously, I had the springs to myself almost the entire time I was there.
May 30, 2017
- Despite good work by our local delegation, the session was a failure by almost every measure. We give it the benefit of the doubt and award it a grade of D.
May 29, 2017
- In the same meeting where it imposed tighter water restrictions on Tampa Bay residents due to drought, the Southwest Florida Water Management District board voted to allow developers to further plunder a critical water source
May 23, 2017
- BROOKSVILLE ' Efforts by state officials to set a minimum flow for its iconic springs have stirred up a wave of public opposition. Opponents contend the state is willing to destroy its springs in order to justify continuing to provide water for new development.
Set 7 of 13
May 21, 2017
- Alexander Springs is another spring in the Ocala National Forest. It is one of 27 first magnitude springs in the State of Florida and the only one in the forest.
May 17, 2017
- Long before mouse ears and wizard wands, Florida's original tourist attraction has been refreshing and invigorating those who dip into the cool water shooting up from the Floridan aquifer.
May 16, 2017
- Manatees, those gentle giants with flat, paddle-shaped tails, have inspired the legends of mermaids. We are fortunate that our very own island of Trinidad is the home of these amazing animals also known as sea cows.
May 16, 2017
- Water is crucial to Marion County's economic and environmental future. On the surface, healthy lakes, rivers and springs act as natural attractions for swimming and fishing and critical wildlife habitat.
Set 8 of 13
May 15, 2017
- Silver Springs, historically the largest spring in Florida in terms of flow, has lost between 30 percent and 40 percent of its former flow
May 10, 2017
- New this year for the benefit of her students and other river travelers are educational signs along the water, although the word "signs" doesn't really describe them well. They are more like small murals or big paintings.
May 8, 2017
- When it comes to weather, Florida is usually known for humidity and hurricanes. But now, drought is making news in the Sunshine State. Sixty-six percent of the state is now in a drought, the highest percentage of any U.S. state.
May 8, 2017
- I love state parks, but I'm not a big fan of camping so the perfect solution for me is a state park cabin. I've stayed in cabins in 11 parks, some more than once.
Set 9 of 13
May 8, 2017
- Blue Springs continued to flow through times of war and peace for hundreds of years after Calistoble and her lover disappeared into its depths.
May 7, 2017
- The following is legend that was handed down by early settlers of Jackson County. The events described took place long before the first Spaniard set foot in Florida.
May 4, 2017
- Despite what appears to be widespread support for the measure, FPL's fracking proposal, Senate Bill 1238, appears to be dead in this session of Florida's legislature.
May 4, 2017
- Wednesday, the Florida House of Representatives joined the Florida Senate in passing implementing legislation for the pro-solar Amendment 4.
Set 10 of 13
Apr 28, 2017
- This is nothing but a massive handout to a powerful monopoly at the expense of consumers who should not have to pay for this. If fracking is that promising, the utility's shareholders should shoulder the financial responsibility.
Apr 26, 2017
- Florida Power & Light's quest to have customers pay for natural gas fracking projects in other states overcame a key hurdle Tuesday as the Senate Rules Committee passed the controversial measure and overlooked opposition from residential and commercial customers.
Apr 22, 2017
- The pattern has become familiar. One of our state agencies charged with protecting the environment issues a rule or a permit or a report which infuriates environmental advocates.
Apr 20, 2017
- With just over two weeks left in Florida's regular Legislative Session, a group of over 100 members of the business community released a statement Wednesday indicating support for a statewide fracking ban.
Set 11 of 13
Apr 20, 2017
- Ray Kemble, a Vietnam veteran from Pennsylvania, knows firsthand how fracking affects water quality.
Apr 18, 2017
- A recent report by 1000 Friends of Florida projects that more than 5 million acres of natural and agricultural lands will be permanently lost to development over the next 50 years if current development trends continue.
Apr 17, 2017
- Gearing toward the May 5 deadline to pass a budget for the 2017'2018 fiscal year, the Florida House is earmarking no funds for Florida Forever, while the Senate is offering $10 million — a half of the dollars for all land protection programs.
Apr 15, 2017
- The environmental writer Cynthia Barnett and I recently joined a busload of fifth-graders on a field trip to Gilchrist Blue Springs Park, north of Gainesville, as part of a project to introduce children to the state's precious water sources.
Set 12 of 13
Apr 15, 2017
- Another water management district, another iconic group of springs, another unpopular approval of allowing the springs and the river they feed to be lowered even more.
Apr 12, 2017
- Advocates for Florida springs say the state is falsely blaming aquatic grass and weeds for shriveling Silver Springs as a way to grant water rights to a wealthy rancher
Apr 8, 2017
- National Geographic Young Explorer Jennifer Adler regularly takes the plunge in hopes of promoting a new "water ethic," an enlightened mind-set about the different sources and uses of water.
Apr 6, 2017
- Florida used to be world famous for ' its water. A peninsula riddled with rivers and lakes surrounded by miles of beach. We have been destroying our water environments and our drinking water at an increasing rate.
Set 13 of 13
Apr 5, 2017
- For the fifth year in a row, Florida legislators who have questions about the procedure are poised to essentially allow it because they've been unable to agree what, if anything, to do about it.
Apr 1, 2017
- The manatee has finally been removed from the U.S. endangered species list after almost 45 years, but some are arguing this isn't news to celebrate ' and that it may actually hurt the animal's chances of survival.