Florida Springs News Archive
Welcome to our springs news section. Here you can find news about spring activity, legislation concerning springs, water conservation and upcoming major events.
Set 1 of 13
Oct 10, 2018
- North Florida is home to a vast underground plumbing system known as the Floridan Aquifer. Comprising more than 100,000 square miles and several thousand feet in thickness, the Floridan Aquifer is like a gigantic, rock-filled bucket.
Oct 8, 2018
- Red Tide is a manatee's enemy because its toxicity could kill us very quickly! You see red tide is an extremely toxic algae bloom that forms when the water is warm and there are plenty of nutrients for it to live on.
Oct 6, 2018
- That's far more than the subsidies provided for renewable energy like solar and wind; in terms of tax breaks, fossil fuel subsidies outpace renewable subsidies by 7 to 1. It all comes down to politics.
Oct 3, 2018
- The FWC releases statewide red tide reports on Wednesdays and Fridays between 4 p.m. and 5 p.m. But this week prior to Wednesday's report, some people in Destin and South Walton were saying they didn't need the official report to know there is a problem.
Set 2 of 13
Oct 1, 2018
- The bloom has now touched all three of the state's coasts, according to the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission. This appears to be only the second time that has happened since the state began officially tracking the blooms.
Oct 1, 2018
- Florida International University and Mote Marine Laboratory are developing new and more efficient ways to treat manatees exposed to toxic red tide.
Oct 1, 2018
- The death toll for marine life continues to rise as a toxic red tide bloom stretches along more than 100 miles of Florida's southwestern coast. Ride tide is the suspected culprit of six more manatee deaths in Sarasota County over the weekend.
Sep 27, 2018
- The red tide is a naturally occurring phenomenon worldwide and the bloom in our area has been around since last October. It is still here but hopes are that it will subside as cooler weather, and cooler water, arrives.
Set 3 of 13
Sep 19, 2018
- A Sarasota Marine Patrol Officer helped Mote Marine Laboratory and the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservations Commission with a sick manatee on Wednesday. The manatee was found near a bridge on South Boulevard of the Presidents near St. Armands Circle.
Sep 16, 2018
- With a horrific red tide killing marine life and tourism on Florida's southwest coast, and with toxic green algae bringing misery to the Treasure Coast and Fort Myers area on a now-annual basis, it's understandable that Gov. Rick Scott would want to run away from his environmental record.
Sep 13, 2018
- Wednesday morning, four rehabilitated manatees from Sea World arrived at the Ellie Schiller Homosassa Springs Wildlife State Park for a stay of undetermined length ' while they're now healthy, they can't be released into their home waters due to red tide.
Sep 12, 2018
- It's September in an election year in Florida, and suddenly everybody cares about water.
Set 4 of 13
Sep 11, 2018
- As we near manatee season, divers collected several bags of trash to make the area safer for the sea cows. The bags of debris that line the intracoastal pose a problem with the sea cows migrating here starting in November.
Sep 1, 2018
- Heather Barron snatched a fist-sized blue crab from a bucket with a pair of 18-inch hemostats, dangled it in a tank that contained a 380-pound female loggerhead sea turtle and hoped.
Sep 1, 2018
- Plans for cleaning up springs systems in Volusia County and the rest of Florida have been pushed back until after the first of the year. The action plans, ordered by a state Legislature mandate in 2016, were supposed to be final by July 1 this year
Aug 26, 2018
- Blue Springs in Orange City. The surrounding waters are popular for swimming, free diving and floating away on inter-tubes during warmer weather. You may see gators basking in the sunlight and other indigenous aquatic life moving around the waterline.
Set 5 of 13
Aug 22, 2018
- Stymied over the past three years, a coalition of environmental and business groups issued a letter calling on Florida lawmakers to ban the controversial practice of fracking, with more than 100 city and county elected officials signing on.
Aug 21, 2018
- Florida's natural environment is at an all-time low. Daily images of dead fish, turtles, manatees and even whale sharks, with a green-slime-icing for emphasis, leave no doubt that the political status quo has failed Florida and its animal and human inhabitants.
Aug 20, 2018
- 2018 has not been a good year for Florida's iconic manatees. A total of 540 sea cows have died in the last eight months, surpassing last year's total of 538 deaths, according to figures posted Monday by Public Employees for Environmental Responsibility (PEER).
Aug 17, 2018
- Big changes are happening with septic tanks in Florida and I felt it was important to bring you into the conversation early, so you were well informed. Now that some time has passed, I wanted to come back to you with an update on where things stand.
Set 6 of 13
Aug 16, 2018
- Scientists are urging Pensacola area beachcombers and boaters to be on the lookout for manatees affected by a large toxic algae bloom stretching from the waters off Tampa through the Florida Keys.
Aug 10, 2018
- Suncoast photographer Cindy Desmond sent pictures to ABC7 of a gathering of dozen manatees near the N. Jetty tonight. Some concerned bystanders, called Mote Marine thinking they may be in distress due to the red tide.
Aug 9, 2018
- Florida springs and aquifer at risk warns top environmentalist. This year the environment is emerging as a top issue in both the primary and the general election.
Aug 8, 2018
- The water that connects us "needs us now," author Cynthia Barnett told the crowd gathered at South Walton High School on July 25.
Set 7 of 13
Aug 6, 2018
- Organizers told Action News Jax that they wanted to send state leaders a message that the future should be focused on renewable resources.
Aug 3, 2018
- Stuart and environs is a glistening jewel born of water. It may well top the list of Florida cities in shoreline per capita. There's simply water everywhere.
Aug 3, 2018
- Unsustainable aquifer use through the over-pumping of wells and springs reduces fresh groundwater volumes and allows for the intrusion of seawater.
Jul 19, 2018
- Florida is well known for its beaches and outdoor nature activities. Tucked away from the coastal lines exists a private natural spring park called Ginnie Springs just six miles outside the city of High Springs, Florida. This hidden gem is located along the Santa Fe River and highlights Florida's northern central nature scene.
Set 8 of 13
Jul 18, 2018
- Visit the new Gilchrist Blue Springs State Park and, if you can get in, you will see what your neighbors do to tolerate the summer heat. They spend the day in the springs.
Jul 18, 2018
- With toxic algae blooms now erupting all over Florida ' from the St. Johns River to Lake Okeechobee as well as on both coasts ' scientists are pointing a finger at one likely fuel source: pollution from leaking septic tanks.
Jul 17, 2018
- The Great Toxic Slime Outbreak of 2018 has befouled the Caloosahatcheer, the river of my childhood. I needed to see for myself, so I grabbed my cameras and headed south to Fort Myers and Cape Coral. A heartbreaking sight awaited.
Jul 17, 2018
- You shouldn't be surprised that I would make sure and visit any National Forest if I am near one. In Florida, this is the Ocala National Forest.
Set 9 of 13
Jul 10, 2018
- Last week, Hawaii became the first U.S. state to ban the sale of sunscreens containing two common chemicals, oxybenzone and octinoxate, which many researchers worldwide have deemed potentially harmful to aquatic life.
Jul 1, 2018
- Tucked away in an off-the-beaten-trail corner of Orange County is a gorgeous Florida gem called Rock Springs. Not that it is a sleepy place... the locals know and love it well, with hundreds of tubers floating the run on any pretty weekend.
Jun 30, 2018
- Decided to welcome summer by adventuring to some of Florida's natural springs.
Jun 21, 2018
- A friend called and said she was in need of a short, relaxing trip on cool water. She suggested the Santa Fe. She enjoyed playing with her new SUP and I was hunting up what little wildlife there is to see along the Santa Fe in hopes of getting some good photos with my new camera.
Set 10 of 13
Jun 21, 2018
- This beautiful spring is named for Juan Ponce de León, who led the first Spanish expedition to Florida in 1513 in search of the "fountain of youth."
Jun 5, 2018
- The Florida springs are awesome! They are especially a great place to spend time during the summer. Hot and humid summer Florida summer days are made pleasant within seconds of dipping into one of the Florida Springs.
May 21, 2018
- Since 2002 or so, we've joined dozens of friends and family members at Ginnie Springs for our annual Mother's Day small-cation to the woods. It's probably the most highly anticipated event outside of Christmas for our crew.
May 9, 2018
- We met up at K.P. Hole County park , unloaded the kayaks, then drove all the cars down to CR 484 to the Blue Run boat ramp and all the drivers rode back in two cars to K.P Hole County Park to launch. ($5 admission /launch fee).
Set 11 of 13
Apr 18, 2018
- Usually on Juniper Creek, with it's swift current, many twists and turns and obstacles, and hordes of people, I only have time for a grab shot every now and then. My wish for this trip was to take our time so I could get a few more pictures than normal.
Mar 28, 2018
- With the kids off for spring break it was the perfect time to get away for the weekend and go camping. We chose a place in Florida that was only a couple of hours away. Hart Springs is located in Gilchrist county near the town of Bell, Florida. It is a county park that has both RV and tent camping sights.
Mar 1, 2018
- To be completely blunt, it seems like Ginnie Springs' most redeeming quality is the fact that they are one of the only parks (if not the last one) to allow alcohol in the springs area -- just no glass bottles / containers.
Feb 27, 2018
- Rock Springs Run is located in Orange and Seminole Counties. It's 8.5 miles make up part of the Wekiva Paddling Trail. It is a beautiful spring fed river that stays clear year around and will challenge both beginner and experienced paddlers.
Set 12 of 13
Feb 24, 2018
- Right on the edge of Ocala National Forest lies Juniper Springs; a beautiful recreational area that was helped shaped by the Civilian Conservation Corps. Filled with swimming, canoeing, and kayaking the springs is also home to the Historic Millhouse.
Feb 22, 2018
- Otters Springs is located about an hour west of Gainesville, right next to where the Suwannee River runs. This place was great, but I definitely think it is geared more towards families and large groups that do not mind little to no privacy at the actual campsite
Feb 8, 2018
- We didn't have any reservations for this evening, unsure how far we would drive and where we should end our day. The state parks are generally full. So, we tried something new, a county park. Our day ended at Hart Springs RV Campground outside Bell, Florida. Our first grassy campsite.
Jan 18, 2018
- Morrison Springs is a popular spring in northwest Florida and is one of 13 springs flowing into the Choctawhatchee River Basin. It is a large, sandy-bottomed spring surrounded by old growth cypress.
Set 13 of 13
Jan 8, 2018
- Scientists and engineers with the St. Johns River Water Management District and the University of Florida have completed a collaborative multi-year science investigation into the health of priority spring systems.
Jan 6, 2018
- Yes it was cold, but no one complained, and once the initial plunge was past, it was totally exhilarating. Recent previous cold days may have played a role in the low attendance this year, and perhaps the flu also.