Madison Blue Spring
Located in one of Florida's newest state parks, this crystal clear, first magnitude spring is a popular spot for swimming. About 82 feet wide and 25 feet deep, the spring bubbles up into a limestone basin along the west bank of the Withlacoochee River. Scenic woodlands of mixed hardwoods and pines create a picturesque setting for picnicking, paddling, and wildlife viewing.
Known for: Activities: Swimming, scuba diving, kayaking/canoeing, fishing, hiking, wildlife viewing, picnic area, playground
Madison Blue Spring Experiences & Suggestions (10)
Set 1 of 5
Jun 5, 2017
- Remote, picturesque and rural, northwest Florida is a long way from major population centers. But that's what it takes to get off the beaten path.
May 26, 2016
- LEE, FL (WTXL) -- Despite the nationwide Zika scare, visitors at Madison Blue Springs State Park say mosquitoes have not been bothersome.
Set 2 of 5
May 18, 2016
- Florida is home to over 900 freshwater springs. Many of them are just a day trip away from Tallahassee. So, if you find yourself bored in the sweltering heat on campus this summer, here's the solution. Below are just some of the springs I got to adventure to last summer.
Apr 29, 2016
- Madison Blue Spring State Park is a Florida State Park, located approximately ten miles east of Madison on the west bank of the Withlacoochee River. It contains one of the state's 33 first magnitude springs.
Set 3 of 5
Apr 5, 2016
- Looking to explore new places in your home state? As Floridians, we are so fortunate to live among some of the most beautiful scenery the country has to offer.
Sep 24, 2015
- A couple of months ago we booked a stay in a cabin at the Suwanee River State Park. After that, I saw that USA Today readers had voted Madison Blue Spring the best swimming hole in the country. In the country! And it won by a large margin.
Set 4 of 5
Jul 28, 2015
- Florida has the country's best swimming hole. That's according to a recent vote of USA Today readers. Madison Blue Spring, a Florida state park in the Panhandle, came out on top of the voting, and Visit Florida promoted the results in a news release.
Jun 24, 2015
- Around April of 2013, me and my best friend Danielle sat down to lunch and started talking about everything we wanted to do that summer. On the back of our lunch receipt, we wrote down every place we wanted to visit, the fruit we wanted to pick, and most importantly all the places we wanted to swim.
Set 5 of 5
Mar 16, 2015
- While known for its beaches and of course, Disney, Florida is also home to many pristine spring fed swimming holes which provide unique opportunities for outdoor fun. Our Frugal Family Travelers have visited one of these locations but the one featured in this post was actually suggested by a reader and friend!
Sep 12, 2014
- Madison Blue Spring is a uniquely sublime place, even as compared to Florida's other 33 first magnitude springs. Before this fall's tour of Florida's springs, I had visited most of these prominent, first magnitude springs, but had somehow missed Madison Blue. I was in for a fantastic surprise.
Madison Blue Spring Photography
Madison Blue Spring Videos (3)