Ravine Garden State park
The park has two ravines up to 120 feet deep with steep banks at 45 degree angles. Unlike common gullies, trenches or sinkholes caused by temporary flooding, the steephead ravine is a permanent feature with a spring-fed creek that never dries up, called Whitewater Branch. The underground water bubbling up cuts into the bank and carries the sand and soil downstream to the St. Johns River.
Known for: The Ravine Loop is closed to vehicle traffic one hour before sunset, but remains open for pedestrians, bicycles, and wheelchairs. The garden's peak flowering period is azalea season, late January to April. Numerous picnic sites, equipped with tables and grills, are available to visitors.
Ravine Garden State park Experiences & Suggestions (5)
Set 1 of 3
May 16, 2016
- This past Saturday we went to Ravine Gardens State Park. It's located around 1.5 hours from where I live, but it was only around 30 minutes from Salt Springs Recreation Area where we were camping.
Mar 23, 2016
- Since we would be meeting our daughter in Palatka on Monday to return her dog after a weekend of dog sitting, we decided to spend some time at Ravine Gardens State Park. It seemed like a good opportunity to take a hike in the garden known for its azaleas.
Set 2 of 3
Feb 23, 2016
- I was fortunate to be able to get out last weekend with K.C. & Lilly for some decompression. We headed to a new spot that we hadn't visited in our area yet, Ravine Gardens State Park in Palatka, Florida.
Feb 9, 2015
- In my quest to visit the State Parks in Florida we ventured out this past weekend to Ravine Gardens State park in Palatka Florida. I really enjoyed our visit to Ravine Gardens.
Set 3 of 3
Oct 1, 2014
- This past Sunday, Alex and I decided to visit Ravine Gardens State Park located in Palatka, Florida (about a 45 minute drive from Saint Augustine). We didn't do much research on the place before we went. All we knew was it was famous for its Azalea gardens.
Ravine Garden State park Photography
Ravine Garden State park Videos (3)