Fern Hammock Springs
Fern Hammock Springs is a second-magnitude spring and is one of the most picturesque springs in St. Johns River Water Management District. The irregularly shaped main pool measures about 160 feet from east to west and 75 feet from north to south, with a depth of 2 to 6 feet. A wooden footbridge spans the spring pool near its center.
Known for: Wildlife viewing, Picnic areas, Bridge, Nature Trail
Fern Hammock Springs Experiences & Suggestions (9)
Set 1 of 5
Apr 23, 2020
- Fern Hammock Springs is a hidden gem is less than 2 hours outside of JAX. This second-magnitude spring and is one of the most picturesque spots in St. Johns River Water Management District.
Apr 1, 2020
- Juniper Springs was a perfect place for us to go for a sunny afternoon together. With a relatively short drive to the Silver Springs area, about an hour and a half north of Orlando, we packed a lunch and hit the road.
Set 2 of 5
Feb 8, 2019
- I woke up early enough to catch the sun coming up through the mist rising off of Salt Springs. I shared the view with this Blue Heron who stood on one leg watching me over his shoulder.
Aug 17, 2018
- After our paddle on the Juniper Run, we had nothing else on the agenda so we opted to hang out at the Juniper Springs pool itself and take a walk over to its sister spring, Fern Hammock springs.
Set 3 of 5
Jul 17, 2018
- You shouldn't be surprised that I would make sure and visit any National Forest if I am near one. In Florida, this is the Ocala National Forest.
Jul 14, 2016
- We flew down to Florida early December on a jaunt to use a Jan. 1 deadline timeshare. We ended up in Palm Coast, which lies between Jacksonville and Daytona Beach and just south of St. Augustine, on the Atlantic side.
Set 4 of 5
Dec 23, 2015
- It's a wonderful thing to have a spring this beautiful all to yourself, so I decided that even though it was still a wee bit chilly outside, I should take advantage of the opportunity to explore the waters solo before a bunch of people showed up.
Apr 19, 2014
- Our second day started bright and early with a walk around the campground, down the trail to Fern Hammock Springs where we saw a small alligator, and a quick dip in Juniper Springs, followed by breakfast burritos.
Set 5 of 5
Apr 19, 2010
- This idyllic, ecologically sensitive and protected treasure is located within the Juniper Springs campground boundaries. The tropical appearance belies the chilly temperature of the water. I decided to do a separate post describing it instead of lumping it in with the Juniper Springs post.
Fern Hammock Springs Photography
Fern Hammock Springs Videos (4)