Weeki Wachee Spring
Weeki Wachee Springs is located in Weeki Wachee Springs State park, Weeki Wachee, Florida. The spring plus several other combine to form the Weeki Wachee River. Buccaneer Bay is a seasonal water park with a water slide and swimming. There are also mermaid shows, animal shows, restaurants, picnic area and boat tours.
Known for: Magic of the mermaids show (inside), River boat cruise, Canoeing, Kayaking
Weeki Wachee Spring Experiences & Suggestions (16)
Set 1 of 8
Jul 10, 2019
- We are almost three weeks into the Summer season, so don't think it's too late to plan a trip to one Floridas amazing springs and cool off from the heat! The springs are a perfect vacation to take your friends or family to as most of the parks offer Kayaking, Canoeing, Stand-up Paddle boards, Tubes, Wildlife, & Nature Trails.
Feb 10, 2019
- During my six weeks in Florida, I only scratched the surface of all the wonderful springs the state has to offer, but I thought I would share some of my favorites with you here.
Set 2 of 8
Jan 9, 2019
- Starting January 1, people launching into the river from the park's dock can only bring reusable containers or bottles with them. Several signs reading "only non-disposable items allowed on the river" have been posted throughout the parking lot and park entrance.
Jan 2, 2019
- We've lost track at how many times we've spent visiting Florida to escape the cold. It has usually been along the Gulf or Atlantic beaches or one of the Orlando parks. But over the past few years, we've 'discovered' the beautiful and unique springs of Florida.
Set 3 of 8
Oct 30, 2018
- Big changes are coming to the Weeki Wachee River. The state park has cut back on the number of kayakers allowed on the river each day in an effort to reduce the amount of garbage those kayakers leave behind.
Aug 16, 2018
- Tampa is justifiably famous for its bay access to the beaches and turquoise waters of the Gulf of Mexico. Less known, except to locals, are the many rivers, streams and springs that flow in and around Tampa. I
Set 4 of 8
Nov 16, 2017
- Each year when air and water temperatures throughout the state of Florida get cold, manatees seek warmth by congregating in the state's 72-degree-yearround springs.
Jun 7, 2017
- Every Sunday and Thursday morning, a squad of volunteer divers descends into Weeki Wachee Spring to "scrunge" its lime rock basin, working like wet-suited gardeners to pull up black-green strands of lyngbya algae.
Set 5 of 8
May 10, 2017
- New this year for the benefit of her students and other river travelers are educational signs along the water, although the word "signs" doesn't really describe them well. They are more like small murals or big paintings.
Nov 2, 2016
- Making a return to the majestic waters of the Aquarium of the Americas are the world-famous mermaids of the Weeki Wachee Springs State Park in Florida, one of the Sunshine State's oldest roadside attractions.
Set 6 of 8
May 31, 2016
- My daughter has been bugging me like crazy to take her paddle boarding. That sounds like a no brainer, but I usually go super early in the morning, way before the rental places open and I usually don't have to pay anything since I have a board. Free is good for a favorite pastime, right?
May 28, 2016
- Florida has more of them than any other place in the world'more than Yellowstone, more even than New Zealand's famed Rotorua. Each one is a window into where our drinking water comes from.
Set 7 of 8
May 16, 2016
- Florida has more than 700 natural freshwater springs, more than anywhere else on earth, with water so pristine that it is not uncommon to spot exotic fish and manatee floating nearby.
Apr 19, 2016
- We started our adventure in Weeki Wachee, Florida - the city of live mermaids! It's about an hour north of Tampa. I grew up in Jacksonville, so as a child I visited this magical place and it made quite an impression on me.
Set 8 of 8
Mar 10, 2016
- I don't think there's any more beautiful place to kayak and swim than the spring-fed rivers of Florida. Crystal clear waters'often an astonishing hue of aquamarine—wind through stands of palms and cypress festooned with Spanish moss.
Mar 1, 2016
- Today, a small group of mermaids and mermen put on three 15-minute shows a day, floating and spinning to the sounds of Enya and "God Bless the U.S.A." Sheets of bubbles punctuate the climax of each show. The blue light of the springs bathes the faces of my two boys, who watch with mouths agape.
Weeki Wachee Spring Photography
Weeki Wachee Spring Videos (6)